I debated titling this entry Tunnel Vision. A few days after my last so long ago post of October 16th we had to call an ambulance to our house because T. was having an asthma attack. Not the typical ones he has had before but the can’t talk, clawing at the throat and banging his head kind. For weeks I woke up every hour during the night to make sure he was OK. We now have a pulmonary specialist, we have a new pediatrician and we have a D.O. for osteopathic treatments. Our goal this year had been no visits to the ER (there were 4 last winter). Our new goal is no ambulances ever. Seeing your kid struggle to breathe is _________________. I don’t know what that word is.
Some things that resulted from that night:
– T. stopped calling me “Ba” (see Dude Looks Like A Lady) the next morning. I am now Mama or Mommy. Maybe he is saying, “Ok, I can’t really bust your balls anymore because we went through this thing that was pretty real – so I am going to cut you some slack.” He is however still throwing plates, cups, food, etc which must mean he can choose his battles.
– If possible I am more outspoken.
– My husband and I rarely argue about stupid $hit.
– While I am apt not to sweat the small stuff so much I am still driven to tears by someone moving my cheese.
Some things that are likely not the result of that night:
– I have changed my mind about the film Anita (see Brad Pitt has Down syndrome continued – October 10th). I think one of the points of the film was that she had been treated like a child by her family. Not that they were awful people but humans. My political correctness overrode my artistic appreciation. I also watched a clip with the actress Alexandra Manzo and she inspires me. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O74KxLDxzQA&feature=related
– We have had numerous looks at our blog by people searching for information about Brat Pitt and Angelina Jolie twins and do they have Down syndrome (see Brad Pitt has Down syndrome – October 8th). To those Nosey Parkers I hope you learned something about Down syndrome.
So, I am back.